Move-In Day

What to Bring

Students moving into residence hall on the Truman campus

What should you bring when you move to campus on Move-In Day? Preparing to move into your new home doesn’t have to be stressful when you plan ahead. The list below offers suggestions on what to bring. Don’t forget to check in with your roommate to see what they are bringing so you don’t waste space on duplicate items.

The Essentials

Doing so will help you move in quickly.

For your room…

  • a mattress pad and liner
  • bed linens (standard twin), pillow, blanket, and bedspread
  • towels and washcloths
  • shower curtain (except for community-style housing)
  • toiletries
  • hair dryer, curling iron
  • cleaning products (disinfectant wipes, all-purpose cleaner, paper towels)
  • air freshener
  • toilet paper (except for community-style housing)
  • UL extension cords not to exceed 6’ in length, 15 AMP minimum
  • non-halogen desk lamp, floor, or bedside lamp for reading and studying
  • wastebasket
  • organizer/storage units or boxes, such as under-the-bed boxes
  • laptop computer
  • cellular phone (your room does not come equipped with a landline phone)

For your wardrobe…

  • clothes hangers
  • laundry basket
  • ironing board and iron
  • detergent and dryer sheets

For mishaps, emergencies, and general “fix-its”…

  • first-aid kit
  • sewing kit
  • flashlight
  • small tool kit (screwdriver, hammer, pliers, etc.)
  • extra batteries

For getting around…

  • bicycle
  • umbrella
  • backpack
  • good walking shoes
  • boots for wet or snowy weather
  • light jacket and a warm coat

For study breaks and relaxing…

  • mobile device
  • television or streaming-capable electronic device
  • recreational equipment (balls, sports shoes, bat, etc.)

To make your new room feel more like home…

  • posters
  • photos of family, friends, and pets
  • indoor plants
  • fan
  • utensils for snacks
  • favorite coffee or tea mug

What not to bring…

  Pets: (except for fish):

Fish tanks are limited to 30 gallons in size.

Exception: If you have a housing assignment in Dobson Hall, which is pet-friendly, you have expanded pet options. See details about pet-friendly housing in Dobson Hall.

  Air Conditioning:

Blanton-Nason-Brewer Hall, Campbell Apartments, Dobson Hall, Missouri Hall, Ryle Hall, and West Campus Suites have air conditioning. Students who request air conditioning for Centennial Hall must meet the criteria for a disability and submit the appropriate documentation to the Student Access and Disability Services Office so their request can be considered. Questions? Call (660) 785-4478.

Resources for Campus Housing

Rules and Regulations | FAQResidence Life Website

Have questions about housing?

Contact Residence Life
Phone: (660) 785-4227